Re: Feature request: IMAP Keywords

* Kyle Wheeler [22-03-2009 17:23:16] va escriure:
> On Sunday, March 22 at 12:25 PM, quoth Albert Oliver:
>> Most email clients support them, and I'd like that mutt could also be
>> there.
> Not that I don't think this would be a good idea, I do. BUT... do most
> clients *really* support arbitrary IMAP tags? I've used Apple Mail, and
> MS Outlook and Thunderbird, and I've yet to see a way to get access to
> arbitrary IMAP tags. Granted, there may be plugins that you can use in
> Thunderbird (I haven't checked recently), but... which email clients do
> you know of that DO have support for arbitrary IMAP keywords?

Right now I've been playing with Thunderbird. It supports "arbitrary"
IMAP keywords in version 2.0 with no extensions [1]. I can add a new
keyword, and flag some emails with that flag. And I can see in my
(toy-house) courier server IMAP that keywords are actually there.

Alpine also supports them [2], and once you let it know about the
"arbitrary" IMAP keywords you're using, it's able to see them, flag more
emails with them, delete keywords from email, and create new "arbitrary"
keywords and flag emails with them.

I've been playing creating new keywords in one client, flag some emails,
and looking for them in the other client (once I added that keyword to
the client). And it works in both senses.

With both clients I'm able to search emails by IMAP keywords, and create
"virtual folders".

Evolution also supports "arbitrary" IMAP keywords, but it messes up the
server if other clients have modified them. I don't know if it's my
server (courier) or the client's fault, but from the moment it looks
like it only works if evolution is your only email client.

I don't know if MS Outlook or Apple Mail support them.

OK... Maybe "most" was not the best word; but at least 2 email clients
support them.

Anyway I think it'd be great that mutt supports IMAP keywords, and I
hope someone will make it happen.

Thanks,
Albert

[1] http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/features/#get-organized