Re: [Mutt] #2897: message counts in mailbox view all zero (IMAP,

#2897: message counts in mailbox view all zero (IMAP, courier)

Comment (by knuta):

 Replying to [comment:14 Derek Martin]:
 {{{
 > On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 06:39:32PM -0000, Mutt wrote:
 > >  If I simplify my own setup slightly, let's say I have the following
 in my
 > >  .muttrc:
 > >
 > >  set folder=imaps://imap.stud.ntnu.no/INBOX.
 > >  mailboxes =Work =Play
 >
 > Why do you expect this to work, and what makes you say that Mutt
 > apparently expects it to?  Is it documented that way in the manual?
 }}}

 It's not documented anywhere, but the source code suggests it should work
 that way. imap_mxcmp() assumes that the IMAP subdirectories in the
 internal representation of the mailboxes list are separated by the same
 character as used by the IMAPd. The way the folder and mailboxes options
 are implemented right now, the only way to do this is by expanding the
 strings manually.

 {{{
 > The string "folder=imaps://imap.stud.ntnu.no/INBOX." is a URL.  AFAIK
 > '/' is always the path element separator in URLs, and '.' is not
 > treated specially.  Moreover on your Cyrus server, '.' is not a path
 > separator per se, it's a logical construct for creating sub-folders.
 }}}

 I'm not arguing that dots should be valid directory separators in the
 configuration, that's not my point at all. I just wrote the patch this way
 to make it small and easy to read and understand. I's meant for
 demonstrating what the problem is and a way for others to verify if their
 symptoms are due to the same problem, not as a complete fix to be applied
 as-is :-)

 {{{
 > It seems to me that the right way to name your mailboxes with this
 > scheme (i.e. this is what I would expect to be required to do) is to
 > write:
 >
 > folder=imaps://imap.stud.ntnu.no/
 > mailboxes =INBOX.Work =INBOX.Play ...
 }}}

 I know this works, but the result is not the same. This makes the initial
 content of the Directories view in the folder list show only "INBOX" when
 using Cyrus, which is completely useless for most users. People would have
 to chdir to =INBOX manually every time they started mutt. I really feel
 people should be allowed to use IMAP subdirectories in the "folder"
 setting, and I believe most people would intuitively believe they can.
 Right now, they can only use a subfolder for the folder setting if their
 IMAPd uses "/" as directory separator, which is kind of a strange
 limitation if you ask me ;-)

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/2897#comment:15>