Re: Strange display problem with 1.5.18

* Rocco Rutte (2008-05-22):
> * André Berger wrote:
>
>> since 1.5.18 (+nntp +compressed), I'm experiencing a strange problem.
>> Uppercase Umlauts (ÄÖÜ) and sz (ß) are displayed incorrectly, as
>> "?~D", "?~V", "?~\"; "?~_". Lowercase Umlauts are OK. This is for
>> example with "text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed" resp.
>> "text/plain; charset=utf-8".
>
>> I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.2, and mutt 1.5.17 still displays everything as
>> always with the same ~/.muttrc. If you need specific details, please
>> tell me what you need, the configuration has grown to a respectable
>> size over the years.
>
> It would be interesting to know:
> - what are your locale settings?

Thanks for your attention!

  LANG=en_US.UTF-8 # in bash

  Character encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) # Mac OS X Terminal.app

  Do Set LANG environment variable on startup # Mac OS Terminal.app

> - where does that happen (pager, index, everywhere)?

Definitely in the pager and the index.

I've tried

  set header_cache="~/.mutt/"
  set header_cache_pagesize=0

, also deleted

  ~/.mutt/.index

and compiled a version without header cache support; none of which
made a difference.

> - does it happen in all types of folders, e.g. does running without a
> header cache work?

It's in both mbox mail boxes (e.g. also with Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"); and in news articles (via noffle)

> - do you use tarballs or track hg sources (for the latter, bisect may   more
> or less quickly point out the bad commit)?

The tarball; nntp from VVV's, compressed folders patch from RR's site.

-André

--
May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!
Linkstation/KuroBox/HG/HS/Tera Kernel 2.6/PPC from <http://hvkls.dyndns.org>