Re: [Mutt] #3040: charset difference between index browser and

On 2008-03-21 15:12:41 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> BTW, it seems that Mutt mixes the locale charset and the editor
> charset. This is also something bad. For instance, I use
> ISO-8859-1 locales (in an ISO-8859-1 terminal) and want to reply
> to a message written in UTF-8, with characters that are not part
> of ISO-8859-1. Fortunately, my editor (Emacs) knows how to edit
> UTF-8 files even when working in ISO-8859-1 locales (if it uses
> its own window, not the terminal one, it can even display these
> characters; otherwise it uses replacement characters for the
> display (only)). So, I could theoretically reply to the message
> without any loss in the quoted part and send the reply in UTF-8,
> but Mutt doesn't let me do so.

So, why don't you use utf-8 in terminals?  Last time I used linux,
that worked very well -- and it works very well on MacOS now, too.

I frankly wouldn't bother adding code to mutt to work properly in
another inconsistent specification edge case, where the user
actually runs several locales in parallel.

--
Thomas Roessler   <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>