Re: [Mutt] #3039: mutt-1.5.17: wrong character set for traditional PGP

#3039: mutt-1.5.17: wrong character set for traditional PGP

Comment (by Alain Bench):

 {{{
  On Thursday, March 20, 2008 at 11:48:57 -0000, Matthias Andree wrote:

 > Tamo's patch apparently hacks the outbound path as well

     Yes, Mutt can then optionally use the $send_charset mechanism,
 instead of forcing "us-ascii:utf-8".

 > that is something I'd suggest not to do given the strong inclination
 > towards UTF-8 in RFC2440.

     Not so simple: With some recipient mailers and setups, the UTF-8
 sent by Mutt is unreadable. While a well labelled Latin-1 would work OK.
 And the contrary can happen in some other cases. Standard and practice
 are fighting, and there is no clear winner. There is clearly a looser,
 though: The impacted user.

     Worse: Encrypted UTF-8 mails sent by Mutt have no charset label.
 Properly labelling them "utf-8" would already improve a little bit the
 chances to be readable.

     Needless to say that there are no such ambiguities nor
 unsatisfactory compromises with PGP/MIME. This one is well designed.

 Bye!    Alain.
 }}}

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/3039#comment:>