Re: [Mutt] #3039: mutt-1.5.17: wrong character set for traditional PGP

#3039: mutt-1.5.17: wrong character set for traditional PGP

Comment (by Alain Bench):

 {{{
 Hello Matthias, and thank you for the report.

  On Saturday, March 15, 2008 at 12:40:18 -0000, Matthias Andree wrote:

 > When receiving Enigmail-generated traditional PGP messages, mutt fails
 > to detect the character set even if it is declared

     Right. Mutt disregards any MIME charset label and any "Charset:"
 armor header, and treats the traditional content as if it was UTF-8.
 This is done on purpose, to follow some standards, and is not
 overridable.

     However, as you noticed, this poses interoperability problems with
 many other mailers. So Tamotsu Takahashi wrote a patch permitting to
 read and write traditional inline PGP mails containing any charset.
 Apply his latest patch-1.5.*.tamo.pgp_charsethack.1, and set
 $pgp_charsethack=yes. It picks any charset declaration if there is one,
 fallbacks to UTF-8 otherwise, and converts the content accordingly.

     Reports like yours are rather frequent, here and in other places.
 I begin to wonder if we should not just burn the hurting standard and
 commit Tamo's patch.

 Bye!    Alain.
 }}}

--