Re: [Mutt] #3040: charset difference between index browser and pager

#3040: charset difference between index browser and pager

Comment (by Kyle Wheeler):

 {{{
 On Tuesday, March 18 at 08:42 PM, quoth Mutt:
 > set assumed_charset=UTF-8
 > set charset=UTF-8//TRANSLIT

 Do not set $charset. There are very few good reasons for it.

 There is *never* a good reason to use UTF-8 and //TRANSLIT at the same
 time.

 > Suppose my name (Miek Gieben) would contain some high unicode
 > codepoint character at the second position. In the index browser it
 > would be displayed as
 >   M?ek Gieben

 It's possible that your name is being mis-encoded in email, and so it
 is taking various paths through mutt on the way to being displayed
 based on whether mutt notices the problem or not.

 My guess would be: make sure your name is properly encoded, and stop
 setting your $charset manually.

 This is not a bug in mutt; the proper venue for this question would be
 the mutt-user mailing list.

 ~Kyle
 }}}

--