thoroughly searching encrypted messages

I know that if I set $thorough_search, mutt will decode messages so
that if I search for "~b foo" it will find all messages containing the
string "foo", even if they're encrypted. But here's my problem: mutt
doesn't always know that messages are encrypted!

In particular, I do a lot of communicating with (al)pine users who
require me to send inline-encrypted email. Mutt works like a champ at
this: I can read these emails easily, and I can send them just as
easily. But until I *view* these messages, mutt doesn't recognize that
they're encrypted. The telltale "S" doesn't show up in the index list.
What's worse, mutt doesn't decrypt them when doing a thorough search.
However, if I first *view* the message, mutt then labels the message
as encrypted (the "S" marker shows up in the index list), and mutt
will then decrypt the message as necessary to search its encrypted
contents. Once I exit out of mutt, though, mutt completely forgets
that those messages were encrypted, and refuses to decrypt them when
doing searches... until I manually view them again.

I know that mutt's inline-encryption support is a bit of a hack, but
it would be nice if, at least, there was a way to force mutt to
*remember* that these messages are encrypted between sessions. It
would be even better if mutt could run the <check-traditional-pgp>
routine as part of $thorough_search.

Does anyone know a way to make mutt do any of this? Would it be hard
to add?

~Kyle
--
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.
                                                  -- Margaret Thatcher