Re: [Mutt] #3033: text_enriched_handler and UTF-8 (and charsets as

On Monday, February 18 at 09:09 PM, quoth Mutt:
This has had me riddled for quite some time now as well. Even if I set LC_CTYPE=de_DE.iso885915 (or similar, like "@euro"), I need to tell mutt about it with "set charset=iso-8859-15". Or am I overseeing something?

Mutt gets its charset from the output of nl_langinfo(CODESET) (if you have the langinfo.h header). Otherwise, it simply assumes iso-8859-1. So I'd say you should investigate that function. Here's a simple test program:

    #include <locale.h>
    #include <langinfo.h>
    #include <stdio.h>

    int main()
    {
        setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "");
        printf("%s\n", nl_langinfo(CODESET));
        return 0;
    }

See what that C program prints out, and do what you must to make it print out the right thing (check the setlocale and nl_langinfo man pages).

For what it's worth, my system doesn't recognize de_DE.iso885915. It DOES recognize de_DE.ISO8859-15, though. When I run
`locale -a | grep de_DE`, all I see as options are:

    de_DE
    de_DE.ISO8859-1
    de_DE.ISO8859-15
    de_DE.UTF-8

Run that command (`locale -a | grep de_DE`) to see what your system supports, and set LC_CTYPE to one of those.

~Kyle
--
When we blindly adopt any religion, political system, or literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow.
                                                          -- Anais Nin