Re: Lack of consistency wrt mailing lists

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 11:12:07AM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Friday, September 28 at 12:59 PM, quoth Ian Collier:
> >A particular email has the headers attached below.  If I start mutt
> >(with no rc file just to make things consistent: "mutt -n -F /dev/null")
> >then it already knows in some sense that this belongs to a mailing
> >list because if I press capital-L then it offers to send the reply
> >to rexxla-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Right, because the message has a List-Post header, and (IIRC) that's
> what the command <list-reply> uses.

This bit doesn't seem to be documented.

   list-reply (default: L)

   Reply to the current or tagged message(s) by extracting any addresses
   which match the regular expressions given by the lists or subscribe
   commands, but also honor any Mail-Followup-To header(s) if the
   $honor_followup_to configuration variable is set. Using this when
   replying to messages posted to mailing lists helps avoid duplicate
   copies being sent to the author of the message you are replying to.

> >The problem is that if I now make an rc file containing the command
> >"subscribe rexxla-members" then the message *still* does not match
> >the pattern "~l".

> Take note of what the documentation says. ~l only matches messages
> ADDRESSED TO mailing lists that have been defined by the user. This
> message that you attached is *addressed to* members@xxxxxxxxxx, and
> thus rexxla-members will not match it.

Hmph.  You are right, I suppose, but it would be nice if this could be
changed.  (A similar consideration applies when someone Bccs something
to a subscribed mailing list.)

> You should probably ask that mailing list to change their setup so
> that it is consistent and uses the same email address for everything.
> That would also fix it.

Previous requests have fallen on deaf ears. :-(

I'll try out some options.

imc