Lack of consistency wrt mailing lists

Apologies if this is a mutt-users issue, but it looks like mutt is being
inconsistent in how it determines whether a message came from a mailing
list.

Mutt version: Mutt 1.5.14 (2007-02-12) [mutt-1.5.14-checkmboxsize.patch]
as packaged in Fedora 7.  But I have verified this with a copy compiled
from the current hg repository.

A particular email has the headers attached below.  If I start mutt
(with no rc file just to make things consistent: "mutt -n -F /dev/null")
then it already knows in some sense that this belongs to a mailing
list because if I press capital-L then it offers to send the reply
to rexxla-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  However, the message does not
match the pattern "~l".

The problem is that if I now make an rc file containing the command
"subscribe rexxla-members" then the message *still* does not match
the pattern "~l".

The even worse problem is that if I add the command "subscribe members@"
then the list-reply command will now offer to send my replies to
"rexxla-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, members@xxxxxxxxxx" which is bad
because they are aliases of the same list and everyone gets duplicate
copies.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks
imc