Re: [Mutt] #2956: Recipient address broken if containing Š character (UTF-8 code: 0xc5 0xA0)

#2956: Recipient address broken if containing Š character (UTF-8 code: 0xc5
0xA0)

Comment (by Rocco Rutte):

 {{{
 Hi,

 * Vincent Lefevre [07-09-18 02:11:02 +0200] wrote:
 >On 2007-09-17 17:09:55 +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:
 >> * Kyle Wheeler [07-09-17 09:39:02 -0500] wrote:

 >>> If mutt is generating this, then something is wrong... perhaps mutt
 >>> should recognize and strip out //TRANSLIT strings?

 >> Yes, but that's another issue (it already has a table of valid
 character
 >> set names, it just needs to match them for $send_charset).

 >Mutt doesn't need to recognize //TRANSLIT strings. The fact that I have
 >a //TRANSLIT string in my $charset should not have any effect on what
 >Mutt sends. $charset is only a terminal-related variable:

 >  Character set your terminal uses to display and enter textual data.

 See the other mail, $charset is a fallback for $send_charset. So yes, I
 think mutt should make sure that at least the charset chosen for sending
 something is valid. This way it's still perfectly legal to have a
 $charset value only valid with one's local iconv() implementation.

 On the other hand, the question is what to do when all charsets in
 $send_charset fail and $charset does not match an officially assigned
 charset name, like in your case.

 The options are 1) go ahead with a charset possibly not supported on the
 receiving side or 2) go ahead with a possible broken encoding in a valid
 charset.

 I'm somewhat tending to prefer 2).

    bye, Rocco
 }}}