Re: [Mutt] #2952: <BackSpace> should use terminal settings

#2952: <BackSpace> should use terminal settings

Comment (by Vincent Lefevre):

 {{{
 On 2007-09-11 09:57:56 -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
 > On Tuesday, September 11 at 07:37 AM, quoth Mutt:
 >> Conversely, you can't be sure that what the user (or something else)
 has
 >> configured for erase is really the backspace key.
 >
 > Fair enough, but I don't expect mutt to handle pathological users.

 There may be good reasons to do that.

 > I'm suggesting we go with "least surprise". The "erase" character,
 whatever
 > it is and no matter what key emits it, is the character that triggers
 > "backspace-like" behavior. So when I say "mutt, when I hit backspace, do
 > X", I expect mutt to understand backspace the same way that every other
 > program does: whatever key I hit that happens to produce backspace
 behavior
 > is the one I'm referring to. If I happen to have configured my terminal
 > such that the 'r' character is the "erase" character (such that if I
 type
 > "bar" I end up with just "b"), then every program I run in that terminal
 is
 > essentially treating 'r' as my  backspace key. Thus when I tell mutt to
 > bind "backspace" to something, I expect mutt to bind 'r' to that
 something.
 > It's simply consistent.

 However readline (as you cited it in one of your messages) doesn't
 work the way you want. For instance, if I create a .inputrc file
 with:

 Rubout: "foo"

 to bind backspace to the string "foo" and run "stty erase r", then
 start bash, I get "foo" when typing backspace, and the 'r' key still
 does the erase function.
 }}}

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/2952#comment:>