Re: [Mutt] #2952: <BackSpace> should use terminal settings

On 2007-09-11 09:57:56 -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 11 at 07:37 AM, quoth Mutt:
>> Conversely, you can't be sure that what the user (or something else) has
>> configured for erase is really the backspace key.
>
> Fair enough, but I don't expect mutt to handle pathological users.

There may be good reasons to do that.

> I'm suggesting we go with "least surprise". The "erase" character, whatever
> it is and no matter what key emits it, is the character that triggers
> "backspace-like" behavior. So when I say "mutt, when I hit backspace, do
> X", I expect mutt to understand backspace the same way that every other
> program does: whatever key I hit that happens to produce backspace behavior
> is the one I'm referring to. If I happen to have configured my terminal
> such that the 'r' character is the "erase" character (such that if I type
> "bar" I end up with just "b"), then every program I run in that terminal is
> essentially treating 'r' as my  backspace key. Thus when I tell mutt to
> bind "backspace" to something, I expect mutt to bind 'r' to that something.
> It's simply consistent.

However readline (as you cited it in one of your messages) doesn't
work the way you want. For instance, if I create a .inputrc file
with:

Rubout: "foo"

to bind backspace to the string "foo" and run "stty erase r", then
start bash, I get "foo" when typing backspace, and the 'r' key still
does the erase function.