[Mutt] #2899: progress display is now too slow for common operations

#2899: progress display is now too slow for common operations

 This change from mutt-1.5.14:

 2006-11-15 18:59:27  Rocco Rutte  <pdmef@xxxxxxx>  (brendan)

         * pattern.c: Display progress during searches.

 causes mutt to be seriously laggy. My IMAP mailbox that mutt spends most
 of its time in has 13,000 messages right now, and changing limits is near-
 instantaneous. But displaying the status every $read_inc messages is very
 slow -- it takes between 500ms and 2000ms (depending on I-don't-know-what;
 possibly mutt-in-ssh network lossage). So every time I hit "l.\n" to
 return to my unfiltered view, there is this *long* pause.

 I could increase read_inc to 100, and then it's mostly-ok, but that gives
 me less granularity on operations that are _really_ slow, like opening an
 IMAP mailbox (painfully slow for me).

 I'm not sure what the right approach here is.

 One might be to not use read_inc and instead use some new var, like
 pattern_inc or limit_inc.
 Or maybe using ReadInc*10?

 Not sure.

 Happy to craft a patch is direction is made clear.

 --jhawk@xxxxxxx
   John Hawkinson

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/2899>