Re: mutt cache sensitivity

On Wednesday, 28 March 2007 at 17:32, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 28 at 02:07 PM, quoth Brendan Cully:
> >>It seems to me that mutt should cache messages to a temporary location and
> >>only move them into the official message cache once the message has been
> >>fully downloaded.
> >
> >Sounds like a fine plan. It should be about the same amount of work to
> >unlink the file on failure though.
>
> True, but that's only if it failed in a good way. If it failed because...
> well, let's say I accidentally open up a message someone sent me that's big
> (oh, like 50 MB). I decide I'm not in the mood to download it all and figure
> out what to do with it, because I'm in a hurry, so I kill mutt (ctrl-\,
> because ctrl-c won't stop a download). The cache will be corrupted, because
> mutt didn't get a chance to unlink it out of the cache.

It seemed like it might be nice to validate the cache file on fetch if
possible. At first I thought I'd just stat the file and compare its
size with the size stored in the headers, but there doesn't seem to be
an appropriate combination of fields in the header structure to
compute this size. Any ideas?