Re: $assumed_charset settings (was: special chars)

Hello Thomas,

 On Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 18:10:22 -0400, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Alain Bench wrote:
>> some terminals (Rxvt?) can display simultaneously Latin-1 and UTF-8.
> Something has to provide the mode-switch between UTF-8 and Latin-1.

    I meant *without* mode switch. Something that would print (fake):

| $ printf "\0351 \0303\0251\n"         # 1 Latin-1 e acute, and 1 UTF-8
| é é                                   # 2 e acute glyphs

    I never saw that with my eyes, only got a report about rxvt-unicode.
I imagine this could work by interpreting input as UTF-8, but on each
erroneous byte reinterpret it as being Latin-1. I can also very well
imagine that it's not rock solid, as some sequences of Latin-1 chars may
happen to appear as a valid UTF-8 character. But this trick can probably
give good results in practice, on say a Latin-1 French text. Wild guess,
never saw, should not talk.

> pterm 0.58 do not support this [mode-switch] scenario.

    I seem to recall having read that's not supported on purpose: The
UTF-8 charset is intended to be modeless, so when in UTF-8 /translation/
PuTTY refuses to obey any mode-switch. No 2022, no ^O/^N... However,
when started in any other translation, one can switch to UTF-8 and back.
This works in a Latin-1 PuTTY 0.59 session (real):

| $ printf "\033%%@\0351 \033%%G\0303\0251 \033%%@\0351\n"
| é é é

    ...but doesn't work in an UTF-8 session (displays some garbage, the
central e acute, and again same garbage).

Bye!    Alain.
--
How to Report Bugs Effectively
<URL:http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>