Re: special chars

* Sun Mar 18 2007 Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie@xxxxxxxx>
> I've compiled a today's hg clone. Mutt doesn't show special chars
> like the `German Umlauts' -> ae_?_ ue_?_ oe_?_ sz_?_ anymore. Plain
> 1.5.14 does.  No changes to muttrc.
>
> Any hints?

Where did those chars come from? Mail, or mutt itself?
If they are from mail, does the message have "charset" parameter
in its "Content-Type:" header?
Mutt now has a sanitizing feature called "assumed_charset",
which assumes that a message with no "charset" is in US-ASCII,
instead of your locale, by default. Of cource you can set
  "assumed_charset=iso-8859-1:utf-8"
  "assumed_charset=$charset:utf-8"
or anything you like. Assuming US-ASCII is RFC-compliant, IIRC.

Hmm, maybe this should be explicitly written in UPDATING:
  + $assumed_charset (for messages with no charset parameter)
  ! such messages were assumed to be in $charset. you can
    set assumed_charset=$charset to get the old behavior.
  + $attach_charset (for attachments to send)

--
tamo