Re: mutt/2630: color indicator doesn't accept regex as described in manual

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2630; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Sweth Chandramouli <mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mutt/2630: color indicator doesn't accept regex as described in
manual
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:08:41 +0200 (CEST)

  On Sunday, March 25, 2007 at 20:05:01 +0200, Sweth Chandramouli wrote:

 | Usage: color object foreground background [ regexp ]
 > Square brackets in command syntax definitions almost universally means
 > "optional argument"

     Sure. But doesn't "prohibited or mandatory" fit into "optional"? No,
 I must admit not really. It's a too innacurate simplification, leading
 to confusion.

 > give separate syntaxes for regexp-compatible and non-regex-compatible
 > objects. [snip plan]

     Thank you. The regexp point indeed becomes crystal clear. But the
 chapter becomes more verbose, with the added re/non-re keywords that
 need to be understood, and the objects list becomes structured by this
 point. I think it reduces overall understandability (any better word?)
 of the chapter.

     This regexp point is important, but surely not *the* essential one
 of the color chapter. I think the list of objects needs to be unique.
 When the reader searches something, he first needs to find the object
 easely, then only which params it takes.

     What about: Just before the objects list, insert a phrase like
 "Some objects below require a regexp parameter, or require a Mutt search
 pattern, as indicated. Object can be one of:". And in the single list,
 include some clearer hints. It still lacks some good replacement for the
 "Usage:" syntax line (ideas?).

 > Testing just now doesn't seem to show any change if I set mono
 > indicator reverse.

     The feature is riddled with bugs: Doesn't work with S-Lang, doesn't
 work with some *curses setups, doesn't cooperate with some patches
 (indexcolors), doesn't work when the wind blows, and so on. When it
 accepts to work, it reverses the index color. Example: When over a red
 on black line, the indicator becomes a red bar with black text.

 > would that give the desired effect (in my case, to have the foreground
 > color stay the same regardless of whether the line is selected or not)?

     No. But your desire would be covered by wish/1717 and its "keep"
 proposal. I also would love a color scheme with smooth:

 | color indicator keep brightdefault

     Thinking to it, "keep" is not enough. One may also want to pick the
 underlying ink color for ones paper, and the reverse. One may also want
 to pick some color for paper, and make the ink in contrast (black ink
 when paper is anything bright, white (or brightwhite?) ink when paper is
 anything dark). One may also want to mix attributes and colors at will
 (just like with Slrn). One may also want better 16 color support,
 especially for bright papers.

 Bye!   Alain.
 --
 Followups to bug reports are public, and should go to bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
 and the reporter (unless he is a member of mutt-dev). Do not CC mutt-dev