Re: Muttrc encoding

Hi,

* Vincent Lefevre [07-03-27 04:04:07 +0200] wrote:
On 2007-03-26 23:19:20 +0200, Vladimír Marek wrote:
> Shouldn't the .muttrc have a (possibly optional) charset declaration
> at the beginning, in particular to be able to use it in various
> locales?

As Thomas noted earlier, set config_charset. One could even use
set config_charset=`enca ~/.muttrc`

I do sort of that since I partly switched to UTF-8: I have $MYENC set via shell config to the right value for the given machine/terminal combination and use $config_charset in all files.

Anyway, I could use a fixed encoding value, but does this apply to the
current file? If yes, I suppose that things like UTF-16 cannot work.
The manual is not clear. For instance, when is a change of this variable
taken into account?

Each config line read from a file/pipe is recoded from $config_charset to current $charset. An interactive change should not touch the present config at all nor have any other effect. It does have an effect when you later source a file that doesn't have $config_charset set.

IMHO $config_charset is evil or at least dangerous as it may produce surprising results: Once you use it in one file and it's different from $charset, you must set it _all_ config files accordingly, too.

  bye, Rocco
--
:wq!