Re: $assumed_charset settings (was: special chars)

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007, Alain Bench wrote:

Hello Christoph!

On Sunday, March 25, 2007 at 13:30:12 +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:

CP1251 (iirc, the last digit could be different) is what windows
usually uses. It is a superset of latin1, with characters in the
128-159 range, mainly some quotes. That could also be a good guess.

   Right: CP-1252 is the optimal $assumed_charset for westerners at
large, today. It's what I use and advice. It's 95% efficient on all
sorts of non-MIME messages, from Windows mailers, from Usenet, from
various webmails, and so on...

well it's widely used, but the characters in the 128-159 range are mostly not quotes. It is true that the most-used of those 32 characters are the (no more than 6 ;-) characters which have been mis-mapped to/from Unicode by overhelpful applications.

Aside from the fact that it includes the Euro symbol, I'd tend to disagree
with both comments.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net