mutt/1810: -s option does not handle newlines properly

The following reply was made to PR mutt/1810; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Christoph Berg <cb@xxxxxxxx>
To: Mutt Bugs <bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: mutt/1810: -s option does not handle newlines properly
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:52:16 +0100

 A related problem was reported as Debian bug #264014:

 ----- Forwarded message from "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -----

 Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:58:01 -0700
 From: "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 To: submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Subject: -s option does not handle newlines properly

 Package: mutt
 Version: 1.5.6-20040803+1
 Severity: normal

 Hi, I just stumbled upon a funny bug in mutt's -s option: it does not
 check if the subject string you pass in contains newlines. It just
 copies the string verbatim after generating the "Subject:" header. You
 can actually (ab)use this bug to attach an entire message body using
 -s alone. For example, save the attached text file as 'randomtext' and
 do this:

        mutt username -s"`cat randomtext`"

 You'll see that because of the blank 2nd line in the file, the
 Subject: header has bled into the message body. We've effectively
 attached a message body using -s. (Note that this only works in bash,
 tcsh misinterprets the quotes and just creates a huge mess.)

 I would've considered this a feature, not a bug, were it not for the
 fact that Mutt places a Reply-To: header at the bottom of the message
 body, obviously firmly believing that it's still in the header
 section. :-)

 Recently, our IT department hired a bug-fix engineer. He used to work for
 Volkswagen.

 ----- End forwarded message -----

 Christoph
 --