EXACT_ADDRESS define and ADDRESS.val, can someone explain.

I am completely new to the mutt codebase, and I am trying to create a
simple patch to allow mutt to auto create capability keys and add these
keys to the
source e-mail address (user@domain -> user+key@domain). I'll not go into
the what any further right now as it is the how that is giving me some
problems right now. The rfc822.h defines a ADDRESS struct type with a
'val' field
that is aparently optional depending on the compiler flag EXACT_ADDRESS.
Given that for my patch I need to be working with the mailbox and personal
fields of the ADDRESS structure, the optional 'val' field may be relevant to
what I am working on, but I can not make any sense of what it is for
and/or when the compile flag would be enabled or disabled.

Could someone help me to gain understanding on how and why of the  ADDRESS
val field and the EXACT_ADDRESS compile flag in order to find out if I
need to worry about them for my patch.

T.I.A.

Rob J Meijer