Re: IMAP reconnecting trouble

On 21-11-2006 13:08:53 +0000, Rocco Rutte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with IMAP I finally to managed to get a debug file for:
> my IP is dynamically assigned and when it changes, mutt looses its
> connection to the server. When opening a folder it notices it and tries
> to reopen/reauthenticate. However, it then hangs and reports it couldn't
> open the folder. Only exiting and restarting it helps.

I don't use SASL, but have the same problem.  If my computer goes in
hibernation mode and wakes afterwards, the connections are broken too,
and mutt even locks up completely.  Upon a broken imap connection when
the server goes down usually mutt locks up, sometimes it tries to
authenticate and bluntly says "permission denied".

[snip]

> What looks strange to me is that even though it opened a new connection,
> it uses the old numbers (though I don't think that really matters much,
> it's just that mutt should do some cleanup before opening a folder).

I tried looking at this once, because I use multiple accounts on the
same server (hence I don't/can't use SASL) and I have to make no
mistakes.  If I make a mistake while authenticating for one of the
accounts mutt usually refuses to connect, authenticate or keeps failing
to see folders.  If I connect in the wrong order mutt doesn't see the
folders correctly any more too, but that seems like a different issue to
me.
I have the impression that faulty connections aren't cleaned
up/deregistered somehow, and hence reused and things like that.

> I get this usually once a day after several hours. Any chance that the
> fix for SASL and IMAP in CVS does help?

I can run mutt without problems as long as mutt keeps on running and no
connection problems occur.

Maybe this information helps on trying to resolve the problem a bit.

--
Fabian Groffen