Re: IMAP, mark_old and new mail

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 11:01:35PM -0800, Brendan Cully wrote:
mutt's supposed to cache the STATUS response for any mailbox it polls
for new mail. If UIDVALIDITY matches and UNSEEN is no greater than the
cached value, mutt concludes there is no new mail. To keep annoying
you about new mail until you open the mailbox, mutt doesn't cache the
UNSEEN value until you select the mailbox.

My guess is either UIDVALIDITY isn't stable or mutt's failing to
look up the cached STATUS entry properly. Either should be fairly
obvious from mutt -d2 or -d3 output.

Actually, the code that I see in command.c appears to be comparing
UIDNEXT, not UNSEEN.  From my reading of the code, if UIDVALIDITY
matches and UIDNEXT is no greater that the cache value, mutt concludes
that there is no new mail.  Otherwise, UNSEEN will be to indicate the
number of new mail messages.

Looking at my .muttdebug# files, UIDVALIDITY is in fact stable.
However, mutt doesn't appear to be properly caching the value of
UIDNEXT.  For example, look at the following selected line from my
.muttdebug0 file:

< * STATUS "INBOX.Bob.MyPrivateFolder" (UIDNEXT 2187 UIDVALIDITY 1030314270
UNSEEN 25)
INBOX.Bob.MyPrivateFolder (UIDVALIDITY: 1030314270, UIDNEXT: 2187) 0 messages,
0 recent, 25 unseen
Found INBOX.Bob.MyPrivateFolder in buffy list (OV: 1030314270 ON: 0 U: 25)
       < ... some lines snipped ... >
< * STATUS "INBOX.Bob.MyPrivateFolder" (UIDNEXT 2187 UIDVALIDITY 1030314270
UNSEEN 25)
INBOX.Bob.MyPrivateFolder (UIDVALIDITY: 1030314270, UIDNEXT: 2187) 0 messages,
0 recent, 25 unseen
Found INBOX.Bob.MyPrivateFolder in buffy list (OV: 1030314270 ON: 0 U: 25)

It's my understand that "ON" should be reflecting the cache UIDNEXT
value.  That is, it should be 2187, but it is never set.  Therefore,
mutt always thinks the folder has new mail.

I can continue to look for the root problem when/if I get a chance, but
I thought that perhaps this information had a chance of triggering an
"ah, I know what must be wrong" thought...

 -- Bob