Re: IMAP, mark_old and new mail

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 03:38:18PM -0800, Brendan Cully wrote:
On Friday, 27 October 2006 at 18:41, Bob Bell wrote:
> I've finally upgraded mutt from 1.5.11 to 1.5.13 (using the Gentoo > ebuilds). I've found a difference with how mutt handles IMAP folders > with unread "old" but not "new" messages. > > Starting with version 1.5.12, mutt doesn't appear able to distinguish > between a folder with only "old" and "read" messages, and a folder that > contains some "new" messages. If I start mutt with two folders that > have only "old" and "read" messages, mutt will constantly say that > I have new messages in the other folder, no matter how many times > I switch between the folders. This of course makes it much more > difficult to manage my incoming mail.

sounds like a real bug. Mutt's supposed to be able to remember which
folders have only 'old' messages within a session (and it works with
my cyrus 2.2 server). Unfortunately, I have no time at all for mutt
hacking for at least two weeks. New mail handling is one of the few
things I'd like to revisit before 1.6 though.

Well, I can't promise I'll find the time, or if I do that I'll get
anywhere, but I can try to look into what's failing.  I know you are
short on time, but if you get a chance, can you briefly expound on how
it's *supposed* to work?  Then I can try to determine what's going wrong
on my end.  If I'm so fortunate as to figure that out, I may even see if
I can work out a solution.

If you don't have the time, I can try to figure it out from the code,
though that likely decreases both the likelihood that I'll find the time
and that I'll be able to determine what's wrong.  So any guidance you
can provide ahead of time is appreciated.

Thanks,
   Bob