Re: sort/sort_aux different for sorting threads and sorting within

On Wednesday, September  6 at 08:15 PM, quoth Patrick Shanahan:
In particular, I'd like to sort my threads
"reverse-last-date-received", but the messages within each thread as
"last-date-received", so that the newest "thread" is on top, but the
oldest message within that thread is the first 'N' message in the
thread.

see (in TFM):

The key part, in case you missed it, is this:

  Note: For reversed ``$sort'' order $sort_aux is reversed again
  (which is not the right thing to do, but kept to not break any
  existing configuration setting).

So, if I understand what you're aiming for, this should get you what you want:

   set sort=reverse-threads
   set sort_aux=reverse-last-date-received

~Kyle
--
Man has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally to make moral decisions. "He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in religious matters."
                                           -- Catholic Catechism 1782