Re: sort/sort_aux different for sorting threads and sorting within threads

* Charles Killian <ckillian@xxxxxxxxxxx> [09-06-06 19:55]:
> When using "threads" sort, is it possible to use a different sort for
> sorting threads and sorting messages within a thread?
>
> In particular, I'd like to sort my threads
> "reverse-last-date-received", but the messages within each thread as
> "last-date-received", so that the newest "thread" is on top, but the
> oldest message within that thread is the first 'N' message in the
> thread.
>
> I have tried all combinations of (reverse-)threads and
> (reverse-)last-date-received without success.

see (in TFM):

3.264. sort_aux

   Type: sort order
   Default: date

   When sorting by threads, this variable controls how threads are
   sorted in relation to other threads, and how the branches of the
   thread trees are sorted. This can be set to any value that ``$sort''
   can, except threads (in that case, mutt will just use date-sent).
   You can also specify the last- prefix in addition to the reverse-
   prefix, but last- must come after reverse-. The last- prefix causes
   messages to be sorted against its siblings by which has the last
   descendant, using the rest of sort_aux as an ordering. For instance,
   set sort_aux=last- date-received would mean that if a new message is
   received in a thread, that thread becomes the last one displayed (or
   the first, if you have set sort=reverse-threads.)
   Note: For reversed ``$sort'' order $sort_aux is reversed again
   (which is not the right thing to do, but kept to not break any
   existing configuration setting).

HOG # US1244711         Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2