Re: mutt/2425: Freeze on reading mailbox in UTF-8 environment on

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2425; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Christian Ebert <blacktrash@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2425: Freeze on reading mailbox in UTF-8 environment on
        MacOS 10.3.9
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:22:23 +0100

 Hello Alain,

 * Alain Bench on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 at 18:55:02 +0200:
 >   On Wednesday, August 16, 2006 at 12:58:05 +0200, Christian Ebert wrote:
 >  > Freeze when trying to read attached mailbox in LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 >  > environment.
 >
 >      On Linux, the raw u umlaut in subject garbles index display, and
 >  truncates the subject prompted by <reply> (Subject: Re: Neue Domains f),
 >  but doesn't freeze. It needs $assumed_charset=cp1252

 Ah! that was it! I tried the assumed charset patch before but
 with a panicky wrong setting. But this works! Great! You saved my
 day! (Sorry for the exclamation marks ;)

 With $assumed_charset=cp1252 it doesn't even truncate the subject
 here.

 I had

 charset-hook ^us-ascii$ cp1252
 charset-hook ^iso-8859-1$ cp1252

 without the patch, but this was not enough. -- Well, from my
 perspective this patch should definitely go in ;)

 >  (and perhaps $strict_mime=no)

 Don't have that variable.

 >  to be correctly displayed, and replied. Do these
 >  settings prevent freezing?

 YES!

 Pheww ... Thanks a lot.