Re: Status NNTP Patch

Hi,

* Thomas Glanzmann [06-07-01 18:22:04 +0200] wrote:

what is the status of the NNTP patch? Does somone have a stable version
seperated as patch?

As there're frequent updates for the 1.5.x series, I assume it's more or less maintained. I remember having a discussion with the maintainer some years ago where he argued that things like cancel or supersede support are so trivial that these can be easily done by hand... so I guess from his point of view all features and implemented and only bugs will be fixed.

Does it have any glitches?

Yes. It uses its own caching infrastructure with tons of files which are encoded in the charset as it was when downloading the headers. Also, it has problems with symlinks and uses insecure handling of temporary files.

For the latter, something like this should be backported to it:

  <http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/mutt-ng?rev=415&view=rev>

What about header
caching?

It would be quite simple to make it use it, I guess. At least not more difficult than POP as due to the same author, the coding still is quite the same.

Once something like my body caching generalization makes it into CVS, the patch could make use of it to get rid of it's ugly cache files totally.

Does it perform for large archives like linux.kernel?

It depends on what good performance means to you. It locally caches headers already so it's quite fast. The performance can be increased when backporting something like this:

  <http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/mutt-ng?rev=774&view=rev>

which makes lots of sence with remote servers. Without it and if the server supports the LISTGROUP command, this is used to retrieve the available numbers, one at a line and time. Afterwards it just downloads available messages it has not yet seen. With this patch applied, it just tries to download and handles the errors without asking the server to send over possibly thousands of lines (which depends on how often you read linux.kernel; I only read it from time to time so that I sometimes got >10k new articles...)

  bye, Rocco
--
:wq!