Re: mutt/2218: Corrupted display in gnome-terminal

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2218; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2218: Corrupted display in gnome-terminal
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 00:34:06 +0200 (CEST)

 Salut Vincent, et merci.

  On Tuesday, May 2, 2006 at 12:20:56 +0200, Vincent Lef=E8vre wrote:

 > the index is not correctly displayed in gnome-terminal (UTF-8): the
 > second 'B' is below the 'e' instead of being below the 'v'. As a
 > consequence, there an additional 'E' on the following line in the
 > index (with a 80-column terminal).

     I do not understand at all the description, sorry. Some screen
 copy might perhaps help me? I tried on PuTTY in UTF-8, and get garbage,
 which is not a surprise given that the "From:" seems to be raw Chinese
 BIG5. Setting $assumed_charset=3Dbig5 displays what looks to me like
 correct ideograms.

 > the "From:" header is invalid [...] Mutt shouldn't behave badly even
 > in these cases.

     I agree. The current design of letting unknown raw bytes reach
 directly the screen, in the hope that the terminal will know how to cope
 with them, is clearly not very good. And especially unfriendly to UTF-8
 terms. I believe /2218 is yet another case asking for inclusion of the
 assumed_charset feature.

 Bye!   Alain.
 --=20
 Mutt muttrc tip to send mails in best adapted first necessary and suffici=
 ent
 charset (version for Western Latin-1/Latin-9/CP-850/CP-1252 terminal user=
 s):
 set send_charset=3D"us-ascii:iso-8859-1:iso-8859-15:windows-1252:utf-8"