Re: errors installing on HP rp740

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 03:29:39PM -0500, John Adamski wrote:
> I am trying to install mutt on an HP-UX 11i (B.11.11) rp740 server and
> am having the following error.   This is the production server; the test
> server has the same version of the OS and installs fine, only when we
> try on the production server do I get this error.

Obviously, something is different from the test server on the
production server... possibly the OS was installed differently.  One
thing to check is to use swlist to list all the packages installed
on both servers, and see if there are any differences.  Re-install the
OS or install packages from the install media until the target server
is the same as the test server...

A different possible solution is to copy the files mutt installs on
the test server onto the production server.  The easiest way to do
this is probably something like:

  1. log into the test server
  2. touch ~/pre-install
  3. build a fresh copy of mutt (after make clean if you already built
     it)
  4. install it
  5. find / -newer ~/pre-install > file_list
  6. edit file_list to remove files which are obviously not part of
     mutt's install (e.g. stuff in /tmp, /dev, etc.)
  7. tar -T file_list -czvf mutt_install.tar.gz
  8. copy the tar file to your target server and extract the files
     into /

Of course, if you do this wrong, you could severely break your system.
The best solution is probably to get it working on a test machine,
copy all the data from production to the test machine, and replace the
production machine with the test machine.  Unfortunately, there are
often obstacles to doing this...

-=-=-=-=-