Re: recent header-cache changes?

On Thursday, 09 February 2006 at 10:18, Christoph Ludwig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after I rebuilt mutt from CVS, header caching didn't work anymore as it used
> to. It turned out that I had to set the variable imap_cachedir for which I
> could not find any documentation in the manual. On mutt-user, Kyle Wheeler
> pointed me to some information in init.h, but I still have questions that
> maybe Brendan can answer:
>
>  * How do imap_cachedir and header_cache interact? IIUC, caching of messages
>    in an IMAP mailbox is a new feature that is supposed to speed up, e.g., the
>    reading of messages. Why is opening an IMAP mailbox (with hcache enabled)
>    significantly slower than before unless I set imap_cachedir?

You've got me there. imap_cachedir really doesn't interact with
header_cache at all. It's simply a place to keep the full text of
messages - basically a maildir without the locking semantics. So
header_cache is useful on top of this in the same way that
header_cache is useful for maildir.

I don't suppose you have any hooks or push macros that are doing
header searches? I can't see why the header_cache should have slowed
down since 1.5.11 (and it hasn't for me).

>  * Does mutt ever purge messages from the cache? (E.g., if I delete or move a
>    message.)

That's actually one of the new things that the header_cache does in
CVS. It won't detect messages that you've removed with another client,
but if you move/delete messages with mutt, it will clear them from the
header and body caches.