Re: expand mutt vars as we do environment vars

On 16Sep2005 21:58, brendan cully <brendan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| The attached patch causes mutt to expand mutt variables in the same
| way that it expands environment variables. For example, you could do
| something like this in a hook:
|
| set sendmail="mysmtp -f $from"
|
| A couple of gotchas: environment variables take precedence, and I
| haven't gotten around to expanding them in a couple of places (notably
| shell-escape).

Nifty.

Designwise, wouldn't it be better for mutt vars to have precedence over
envvars? Personally, I generally expect the "inner" app to override
outer stuff. I can imagine an unfortunate envvar damaging my mutt config
with the current precedence.

Of course, an exported envvar _should_ have an uppercase name and mutt
vars have lowercase names, so the case should be rare...

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The old day of Perl's try-it-before-you-use-it are long as gone.  Nowadays
you can write as many as 20..100 lines of Perl without hitting a bug in the
perl implementation.    - Ilya Zakharevich <ilya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
                          in the perl-porters list, 22sep1998