Re: New IMAP new mail detection code in CVS

On 2005-12-16 at 10:29 -0800, Brendan Cully wrote:
> I've just changed the way mutt detects new mail for IMAP
> folders.
[ UID* bits ]

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I.. -I../intl  -I/usr/include//
-I/usr/include/heimdal  -I../intl  -Wall -pedantic -g -O2 -c imap.c
imap.c: In function `imap_open_mailbox':
imap.c:683: warning: long unsigned int format, unsigned int arg (arg 3)

The code is:
  sscanf (pc, "%lu", &status->uidnext);
which is part of the new code (rev 3.54).

IMAP_STATUS.uidnext in imap_private.h is unsigned int; since the UID is
defined as being 32-bit, for portability perhaps it should be declared
as being either unsigned long or uint32_t (although mutt only appears to
use that in the MD5/SHA1 code, it is already relied upon)?

Trying to check the 'new' mail issue, in a second mail-client I can't
even see the new mail with sync-mailbox or imap-fetch-mail or waiting a
while and it took well over a minute for the message to become visible.
$timeout=15 $imap_idle=on $mail_check=60 ; I think that it took
$mail_check for this to become visible, despite the imap-fetch-mail
invocations.  A third instance of mutt was able to see the new mail,
whilst I was trying to make the mail visible in the second instance.
The mail was still New whilst this was going on.

On a second test, I opened one instance on the folder (INBOX, as it
happens), opened a second instance, sent the mail, confirmed not
visible, quit, started a new second instance of mutt, marked the mail
read, quit.  Went back to the first instance, which would not see the
extra mail, even after three minutes had passed.

Ah, just before sending this, I went back and tried a sync once more,
and at 19:08 local time, the mail sent at 19:04 became visible; I'd
previously most recently tried at 19:07.
--
I am keeping international relations on a peaceable footing.
You are biding your time before acting.