Re: mutt/1296: mutt: iso date/time format by default

The following reply was made to PR mutt/1296; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Eduardo =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=E9rez?= Ureta <eduardo.perez@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>,
        Rado Smiljanic <rado@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mutt/1296: mutt: iso date/time format by default
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:07:42 +0000

 On 2005-09-22 19:47:33 +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
 >     How much the am/pm thing seems ugly to us, as a default setting it
 > is consistent with other defaults and especially the English C locale.
 > Anyone using another language has to change this anyway. I think it
 > makes sense to keep 12h clock as default.

 I don't know if you really checked:

 $ LC_ALL=C date +%X
 17:57:23

 $ LC_ALL=en_US date +%X
 05:55:35 PM

 You can see that the C locale uses 24-hour time format, but the en_US is
 12-hour time format.

 >     Even out of defaults: In International places where English is
 > spoken, I send a custom English attribution with am/pm time.

 You shouldn't, as the international date/time format is 24-hour:
 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html