Re: UI stuff (was Re: How to display format=flowed?)

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 08:11:14AM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> On 2005-10-12 18:32:05 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
>
> > There's no point in writing the code, if it has no hope of being
> > included.  So far, those in control have poo-pooed the whole
> > idea.
>
> Yes, the idea of making the entire thing more modular, more
> object-oriented, generally shinier and better is seductive.  But it
> requires someone with the motivation and time to do it.
>
> I, frankly, have neither.

Sure, you've said as much in the past.  The question, then, is:  Is
there someone, or a group of someones who are interested in doing
this, who do have time and motivation?  I have *some* motivation, but
not enough time to do this myself.  As I've said all along, it would
probably require a group of individuals with diverse expertise, not so
much because it is so huge a task, but just because there seems to be
no one interested who has a lot of free time to devote to it.

The other question is, if such a group emerged, would you be willing
to participate, Thomas?  I think your experience and expertise with
mutt of today would be invaluable.  I would ask the same question of
the other maintainers as well.

> (And, BTW, what you propose is far beyond "patches", but would
> rather be a complete redesign and a rewrite of much of the software.

Indeed, that is exactly what I am proposing.

> You may even wish to reconsider the programming language used.)

Well, for myself, I'm quite comfortable with C, and not much else, so
were I to take the task on myself, C would be the language.

-=-=-=-=-