Re: Decryption: Pager and Dec-Copy (Re: [2005-10-11] CVS repository changes)

On Wednesday, 12 October 2005 at 23:51, TAKAHASHI Tamotsu wrote:
> (May be related to PR #1919 and #2110 ?)
>

> > 2005-10-10 18:26:31  Brendan Cully  <brendan@xxxxxxxxxx>  (brendan)
> >
> >     * pgp.c: Make PGP decode failure non-fatal when displaying
> >     messages (as opposed to decode-saving them). I think it would be
> >     nicer to include the original text when decryption fails though...
>
> So, you would find something useful in this attached patch.
>
> 0. Fall-through to raw message.
>
> Pager will show encrypted text if decryption fails.
> Decode-save/copy will copy encrypted msg as text/plain if decryption fails.
> Decrypt-save/copy will copy encrypted msg as multi/enc if decryption fails.

Hmm, after a second's thought it would be confusing for
decode/decrypt-save to preserve the original text, since save and copy
already do that. So I'm not sure that this is a good idea.

> 1. Another return-value.
>
> Current mutt:
> Pager will fail to display a message (*) if copy_msg returns non-zero.
> Decode/decrypt-save won't delete         if copy_msg returns non-zero.
>
> After patched:
> Pager will fail to display a message (*) only if copy_msg returns -1.
> Decode/decrypt-save won't delete         if copy_msg returns non-zero.
> Errors non-fatal for displaying will return 1 instead of -1.
>
> (*) so all states ("[-- Error: ...--]") will be devnull'ed.

sounds good.

> Still, some users could complain; "I tagged a number of messages and
> tried to decode-save them, and one of them failed to decrypt. But the
> error-message was too ambiguous. I couldn't know what was wrong."
>
> Neither the current mutt nor this patch cares this issue AFAIK.

fair enough. I'll try to read your patch a little later.