Re: imap/2097: indication of new mail is not correct after pipe

The following reply was made to PR imap/2097; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: imap/2097: indication of new mail is not correct after pipe
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:12:04 -0500

 --mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

 On Monday, October  3 at 09:15 PM, quoth Alain Bench:
 > Uploaded patch-1.5.11.ab.flea_imap_2097.1 fixing matching, counting,=20
 > and N flag to change immediatly upon piping or printing with or=20
 > without tagging. Are there other index operations needing fix?

 Aha! It works exactly as I expect it to now. Thanks!

 I haven't noticed any other odd behavior...

 > > if I pipe the message by hand, i.e. type in "|urlview.sh" myself,=20
 > > then mutt marks the message as read right away. But if I pipe the=20
 > > message somewhere from within a macro, the message does not get=20
 > > marked as read.
 >=20
 >     I don't experience the direct/macro piping discrepency you state.
 > Both cases mostly keep N flag until move or redraw. But... this hides
 > some oddity: The messages you explicitly mark new, sync, then pipe are
 > not marked read at all. They stay new, flagged N, and colored ~N, even
 > with patch. Could this be IMAP server behaviour?

 Ahh, it could be. On some servers, I imagine, it's possible that=20
 fetching a message doesn't automatically mark it as read (thus why=20
 imap_peek behavior was originally created as an option). For what it's=20
 worth, I'm using BincIMAP.

 ~Kyle
 --=20
 People who would give up their Freedom for security deserve neither.
                                                     -- Benjamin Franklin

 --mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

 --mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--