Re: imap/2097: indication of new mail is not correct after pipe

The following reply was made to PR imap/2097; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: imap/2097: indication of new mail is not correct after pipe
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 19:18:22 +0200 (CEST)

  On Sunday, October 2, 2005 at 20:35:01 +0200, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

 > "intended" behavior... but I don't see a purpose to it.

     Well, the same: Keep the N as a reminder of previous state, until
 next move or redraw. Granted that seems probably much less usefull than
 in pager. Zero really?

     Now index would be more consistent with pager mini-index if only
 color matching new or old and counts were updated immediatly... That
 doesn't seem to be the case.

     Uploaded patch-1.5.11.ab.flea_imap_2097.1 fixing matching, counting,
 and N flag to change immediatly upon piping or printing with or without
 tagging. Are there other index operations needing fix?

 > if I pipe the message by hand, i.e. type in "|urlview.sh" myself, then
 > mutt marks the message as read right away. But if I pipe the message
 > somewhere from within a macro, the message does not get marked as
 > read.

     I don't experience the direct/macro piping discrepency you state.
 Both cases mostly keep N flag until move or redraw. But... this hides
 some oddity: The messages you explicitly mark new, sync, then pipe are
 not marked read at all. They stay new, flagged N, and colored ~N, even
 with patch. Could this be IMAP server behaviour?

 Bye!   Alain.
 --
 Give your computer's unused idle processor cycles to a scientific goal:
 The Folding@home project at <URL:http://folding.stanford.edu/>.