Re: Fwd: Re: group-reply - bug or feature?

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 08:40:38AM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> On 2005-09-20 19:22:15 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
>
> > Well, I guess I need to clarify.  Actually the case that I
> > specifically have a complaint with (and what prompted me to
> > re-raise the issue initially) is the case where I am
> > group-replying to a message I sent myself (i.e. I am the sender
> > and one of the recipients).  In this case, mutt prompts with a
> > blank To: line, which I think is brain-dead
>
> That does not sound like the desired behavior, I can't see it from
> the code, and it's not what mutt does here...  Would you have a
> sample message and a minimal configuration file to reproduce this?

Well...  I figured out what is causing it.  The problem occurs when
you have set metoo=no in your .muttrc, and you reply to yourself.  If
you set metoo=yes, mutt will copy your address into the To: field as
expected.

I guess the question is, what behavior makes the most sense, when
metoo=no?  I don't think prompting with a blank To: line makes any
sense...  Obviously the user wants to send the message to everyone on
the original e-mail.  I think there are 2 cases that need to be
considered.

1. For message you are replying to, you are the sender, AND you are the
only recipient listed in the To: line (but there are other recipients
in the CC: line).

2. You are the sender, but you are not listed in any of the recipient
headers.

For case 1, I think the best behavior is to either copy the original
CC line into the To: line, or ignore metoo=no and still send the
e-mail to yourself.  I realize that seems strange, but you have to
admit that replying to yourself when you've sent yourself the message
is a little strange too.

Case 2 seems obvious to me... just copy the headers from the original
mail.

my $.02  :)

-=-=-=-=-