SMTP $envelope_from

On Thursday, 08 September 2005 at 16:59, Alain Bench wrote:
> Hi Brendan,
>
>  On Wednesday, September 7, 2005 at 8:02:36 AM -0700, Brendan Cully wrote:
>
> > to make $envelope_from an address (possibly renaming the current
> > $envelope_from to $use_envelope_from).
>
>     My humble:
>
>  · Renaming vars should be avoided, unless tremendous benefit.

I don't like it either. I just couldn't think of good variable names
that wouldn't cause confusion. Maybe symlink envelope_from to
use_envelope_from and add envelope_from_address?

>  · Changing semantics... loads of MAIL FROM:<yes> to be expected.

that's true.

>  · A way to set arbitrary envelope sender is needed...
>  · ...but it needs to be difficult. A special variable just for that may
> lead users to easely use it uselessly and thus harmfully.

I don't think it needs to be too difficult. There are enough obscure
config variables already that we'd get a little "security through
obscurity" for free :)

>  · Consistency across sending methods and apps is desirable.
>
>     The explicit -f in $sendmail way *was* OK: A not too tempting
> possibility. But not applicable for SMTP. I am not in favour of a
> variable, too easely misused. Especially not if named $envelope_from.
>
>     What do users possibly need as envelope sender? In the vast majority
> of cases, the same address as in "From:" field ($envelope_from=yes). In
> more rare cases, username@localhost or such, to be later masqueraded by
> MTA ($envelope_from=no). Arbitrary envelope sender is needed only in
> very specific corner cases.
>

>     $envelope_from=no in $sendmail case causes in fact *no* sender
> determination by Mutt, but by the $sendmail app: Generally
> username@localhost. $envelope_from=no in SMTP case should probably cause
> Mutt to do MAIL FROM:<username@localhost> itself, no?

Hmm, this would strongly imply that there was an MTA running on
whatever localhost expands to, in which case why bother with using
SMTP directly?