Re: Extra spaces

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

Except just setting screen to use bce doesn't fix it.  This has bugged
me for years.  You have to both set "bce on" and use TERM=screen-bce.
Just setting bce on has no effect, and just using screen-bce will botch
your display.

yes - I could have supplied more detail, but thought that mentioning
the highlights (no pun) would provide some useful starting point.

 http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/screen-bce

I'd just use XTerm*trimSelection, but I dislike having xterm do clever
things to my clipboard.  If it could just trim whitespace at the ends
of lines, instead of all whitespace...

if it could - but I don't think it's doable (xterm simply doesn't know that there's more than one level of application writing to the display, and cannot guess what's done by the level past screen).

If screen were modified, for instance, to do as vim does and ensure that wrapped lines are written so that xterm agrees they're wrapped - then a lot of the apparent problem would just go away.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net