Re: Extra spaces

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:20:22AM -0400, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Jonas Jacobsson wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >An irritating problem I have when cutting text from Mutt is that Mutt
> >seems to add trailing spaces from the last character to the window
> >border. Is this due to ncurses?
>
> Any of: ncurses, slang, screen and the particular terminal emulator.
>

> >Is it possible to do something about this?
> >
> >(Running Debian, xterm and Mutt.)
>
> With xterm at least you can set the highlightSelection resource which
> shows what xterm's selected.  For the applications running in xterm,
> it depends on the terminal setting (xterm-color is a particularly bad
> choice), and how closely the application follows it.  screen can be
> told to use the bce feature which is related to this.

Except just setting screen to use bce doesn't fix it.  This has bugged
me for years.  You have to both set "bce on" and use TERM=screen-bce.
Just setting bce on has no effect, and just using screen-bce will botch
your display.

  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/screen-bce

I'd just use XTerm*trimSelection, but I dislike having xterm do clever
things to my clipboard.  If it could just trim whitespace at the ends
of lines, instead of all whitespace...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC