Re: mutt/1519: when replying to pgp-encrypted mail,

The following reply was made to PR mutt/1519; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Gregor Zattler <telegraph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mutt/1519: when replying to pgp-encrypted mail,
 message ist *not* included in reply
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:47:30 +0200 (CEST)

  On Thursday, September 1, 2005 at 2:45:02 PM +0200, Gregor Zattler wrote:

 > Does [Adeodato's] patch break signature verification?

     No problem. I checked PGP 2.6.3ia and GnuPG 1.4.0 with trad signed,
 encrypted, and both messages. Without the patch, PGP 2.6.3ia fails to
 quote crypted and signed messages in replies, reproducing exactly your
 symptoms (return error 6, no text quoted). But with Dato's
 patch-1.5.10.asp.fix-bug-186891.1, everything works nominally.

 > I guess use of pgp 2.6.3 fades away.

     A bunch of outdated guys still use PGP 2.6.3 and have no plans to
 upgrade, for reasons it would be offtopic to discuss here. I believe
 that fighting against this obsolete population is righteous, but we
 should still respect adversaries by consuming /dev/stderr... Shouldn't
 we? ;-)

 > http://muppet.faveve.uni-stuttgart.de/~gero/gpg-2comp.tar.gz is not
 > valid anymore.

     And in fact this means using GnuPG in compatibility mode, not the
 real PGP 2.6.3.

 > distribute gpg-2comp with mutts source and describe how to modify and
 > use gpg.rc

     Perhaps this is a good idea, independantly of this bug resolution.
 Any comments from crypto-guys? Any flame-resistent volunteer to maintain
 gpg-2comp, create a gpg-2comp.rc, and document it?

     I'm in favour of commiting Dato's patch to consume unused PGP
 stderr. It's small, does not hurt modern guys, and workarounds an old
 PGP malfunction.

     BTW somewhere in Mutt 1.5 branch pgp.c:pgp_application_pgp_handler()
 a fflush() was removed before reading a just written file. This fails in
 some cases giving empty body display and empty quote in replies. I
 upload patch-1.5.9.ab.pgp_decrypt_flush.1 to readd this fflush() before
 rewind(). It's independant of Dato's patch and of this bug: I figured
 I'd better not open another bug just for a oneliner.

 Bye!   Alain.
 --
 Mutt 1.2.5 users: Do us all a favour, set in_reply_to="%i" in muttrc, so
 threading is not messed up by silly mail servers.