Re: IMAP server side search integration

On 2005-09-04 20:25:20 -0700, Brendan Cully wrote:

> I would like to agree, but in practice some formats make some
> operations much cheaper or more expensive than others. To really
> preserve consistency we'd just keep the status quo - super slow
> client-side full text searches. When performance gets bad enough
> I think it's probably worth sacrificing some consistency.

There's already some inconsistency with search -- thorough_search
basically controls whether mutt does expensive things on search.

If you change IMAP search to happen on the server, please give
people the opportunity to resort to expensive client-side search by
turning on thorough_search.

(Besides, I'm not entirely happy about adding even more
inconsistency...  IMAP server-side search doesn't happen to support
regexps in some way, does it?)

--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.