Re: mutt/891: mutt fails to print a hostname after the @ in the from field of a messages it sends, although hostname -f does print a FQDN.

The following reply was made to PR mutt/891; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Rado S <rado@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: cromwell@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/891: mutt fails to print a hostname after the @ in the from
field of a messages it sends, although hostname -f does print a FQDN.
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:21:38 +0200

 [=3D- Vincent Lefevre wrote on Sat 20.Aug'05 at 16:05:01 +0200 -=3D]

 >  On 2005-08-20 14:36:52 +0200, Rado Smiljanic wrote:
 >  > Is /etc/resolv.conf ok (as per "hostname" docu)?
 > =20
 > It doesn't necessarily need to be "OK" (if particular for
 > laptops that goes from network to network), as it can be set in
 > /etc/hosts. The hostname(1) man page says here:

 I meant mutt's manual.txt for "hostname" & "use_domain",
 please have a look there!

 It says it checks the fqdn at _compile time_.
 When you have varying hostnames with the same binary, you have to
 work around it by specifying current hostname in SHELL and then
 use it within mutt like "set hostname=3D$HOSTNAME".
 (other workarounds may include using hooks)

 Also see source for references to "Fqdn" (internal var for "hostname"):
 - init.c function "mutt_init".
        - getdomain.c for "getdnsdomainname"
 - sendlib.c function "mutt_fqdn".

 Actually, when looking at the source, I don't see the "compile
 time" connection to /etc/resolv.conf, as it seems to be read at
 run-time. Is the manual.txt correct there?

 Or did I get the whole issue wrong?

 --=20
 =A9 Rado S. -- So much to do, but too little time to take care of it all.