Re: mutt development and road map

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 01:05 +0100, Paul Walker wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 07:57:45PM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> (And that's leaving aside the question of whether a wholly new UI is
> actually a good thing.)
>
> The target audience for text mode mailers is tiny anyway compared to GUI
> mailers; time spent on a fully modular mutt is time not spent making the
> existing mutt work better.

Divorcing the UI from the mail handling code is, IMHO, a good thing.  I
can see mutt-nntp needing most of the features of mutt, but news isn't
mail and the slight differences make it difficult to get a news plugin
to work quite as well as mutt handles mail.  But, if we separate them,
muttUI+mailHandler(plugins...) = mutt-mail (call it mutt) as one program
and muttUI+newsHandler(plugins...) = mutt-news (call it nutt) might work
better.  Maybe muttUI+rssHandler = mutt-rss (call it rutt).

jf
--
John Franklin <franklin@xxxxxxxxx>