Re: mutt development and road map

* On 2005.07.14, in <20050714211914.GI23202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
*       "Paul Walker" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Except that's not usually how it works out. The company I work for has a
> somewhat loose attitude to this kind of thing ("use tabs, but we don't care
> how wide they are"), and what you end up with is source code which looks bad
> at any tabbing level, because people have put varying numbers of tabs in to
> line things up.

Usenet (R.I.P.) knew this problem.  Align tabs with tabs, and non-tabs
with spaces.  Tab is an indentation.  Spaces are for alignment.

Lacking consensus, it seems that the best way to keep code readable
among a lot of developers with differing tastes is to choose one style
that an agreed-upon version of indent(1) supports, and keep to it.
Even if nobody particularly likes that style (and chances are, nobody
will) there's always a baseline that you can reflow if you want to for
editing, then reflow again to submit.

You can even make your change-control system reflow it for you on
submission and/or checkout.

--
 -D.                    01234567        Someday, tab damage
 dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx       ^               will light our homes!