Re: Buggy urlview command

On 2005-04-12, Vincent Lefevre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2005-04-11 12:46:46 -0700, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > True.  The manual should probably mention using 'pipe_decode' to
> > work around this.  I use these instead:
> >
> >     macro index \cB ":unset wait_key; set pipe_decode\n|w3m\n:set wait_key;
> > unset pipe_decode\n" "call w3m to extract URLs out of a message"
> >     macro pager \cB ":unset wait_key; set pipe_decode\n|w3m\n:set wait_key;
> > unset pipe_decode\n" "call w3m to extract URLs out of a message"
>
> But this isn't very nice, as some users may have $pipe_decode set
> (the user may even change its value during a session). Mutt should
> provide a way to restore the old value.

Agreed.  I frequently encounter the situation where I want to set a
mutt variable to a specific value, then restore whatever the
previous value was.  Mutt users would really benefit from having a
set of variables available for this sort of thing.

Someone was developing a patch a while ago that would allow the user
to set environment variables.  That would provide a solution without
having to build variable management into mutt.  However, as I recall
he ran into a problem with inconsistencies between operating systems
and I haven't heard anything about it since.

Another solution to this specific piping problem would be to create
another function, decode-pipe, following the patterns of

    copy-message, decode-copy
    save-message, decode-save

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division